Thursday, June 25, 2009

Twice as nice Friday!

Hi all! It's Friday... which means a plethora of fun is headed your way! Flourishes Friday is being hosted by the fabulous Leslie Miller and her focus today? How to use solid stamps in a fun way!

Sharon's Stamp Simply challenge was a two fold challenge - she wanted us to use green and blue together... and paper pierce! You'll have to check out the Stamp Simply crew and see what they cooked up this week! Sabrina -June Guest Designer, Janine, Jennifer, AJ, Tammy and Deb. We have two new members to the DT too! Barbara Anders and Jenny Gropp. Welcome, girls!

Back my creation! With those two challenges in mind, I came up with a super duper easy card that touched on all of that. My inspiration was actually THIS book by Nancy Curry. She has some great techniques inside that are things I turn to when I want to make my own backgrounds.

So, here's my card...
One of the techniques is to use resist ink. I used Clear Resist by Ranger, but you can also use Versamark and then heat set it before you move on to the next step. Using the resist ink, I stamped the flowers from the Spring Ephemerals set by Flourishes.

After that, take long post it notes and rip them to serve as masks. I used a Kaleidacolor ink pad in Calypso Blue and just rotated between the greens and blues in the ink pad. As I laid my mask down and then kept moving it down the line to cover my glossy paper, I changed colors and sponged on the next shade. I wanted to create a bit of contrast between each new strip. I hope that makes sense!

After you're done adding the ink, the rest is just the mechanics of the card! Paper pierce, add a decorative edge with a Martha Stewart punch, some green SU Twill ribbon, a stamped tag (sentiment is from the Sweet Violets set) and some bling! That's all there is to it!

Here's a closer peek at the flowers in resist ink...

You'll have to stop on over to the Flourishes Newsletter to read up more on Leslie's tips on ways to use solid stamps! And, don't forget to visit the rest of the gals on Flourishes DT ~Christine Okken, Cindy Lawrence, Faith Hofrichter, Latisha Yoast, Laura Fredrickson, Leslie Miller and Stacy Morgan
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you all have a great weekend and I'll see you back here soon!

25 comments:

Sabrina Jackson said...

Wow, Julie, this is so GORGEOUS!!!!! I think I need to try this technique to make my own BG. Love it!!!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! Oh I love love love the colors and its so simple. Just what I like, great piercing!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Another WOW Julie card -- just love it -- those colors are SO gorgeous - Fabulous Work -- as always!

Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Beautiful card, Julie. Great way to combine the two challenges! Fun technique - I'll have to give that a shot! Enjoy your weekend!

Janine said...

Just gorgeous Julie!! Have a great weekend!!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOW - this is super gorgeous - Julie!!! I love the technique you used!!!

Have a great weekened!!! Hugs ~S~

Stephanie aka Nerdette said...

OM Gosh, after reading the instructions this looks super easy, yet the effect isn't at all simple looking. Great job. Thanks for the info.

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Julie, thisis gorgeous! I love the background technique you used...beautiful!

Heather T said...

This is lovely, and thanks for describing the technique which I am keen to try.

Darlene said...

WOW ... this is so, so pretty! I'm going to have to try that technique ... I really liked the outcome!! Beautiful job!

Barbara said...

Oh, this is so pretty, Julie! So calm and peaceful--reminds me of a babbling brook. Just beautiful! I'm so looking forward to playing with you on the SS team!

NancyK said...

GORGEOUS!! I love your colors and the resist techniques adds such a nice softness to the card!

The Rubber Maid said...

Makes me feel like the waves of the ocean with the soft colors. Very lovely and did your mother teach you to paper pierce so well?
Sweet card. Mom

Tammy Hershberger said...

That looks SO COOL, Julie!!! I am going to have to try that! Beautiful card!

Deborah Saaranen said...

Beautiful technique and colors! Love the twill/label accent!

Torico said...

How beautiful! Love the coloures you've used.

ChristineCreations said...

Julie this is SO lovely! A perfect technique for solid stamps. The colors are really gorgeous!

Connie M. said...

I have one word for you Julie...STUNNING!!! WOW this is just so amazing! Love the softness of the images and the amazing background you created!!

Carol L said...

Simply Stunning! I love how you combined 2 challenges into one AMAZING card! WOWSAH!!
Carol

Latisha said...

This is so cool Julie!!! So awesome!

Diane said...

Another beauty Julie! This looks so peaceful when i look at it!
I forget if I thanked you for your beautiful card I rec'd. My mind is just not here lately! So if I did,Thanks again! I really appreciate the uplifitng comment!
You are such a sweetie!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my! That's a beautiful card, Julie, and a really cool technique!! I love it! The blues and greens are so refreshing. Thanks so much for sharing this technique as well as the link to the book!

Cindy Lawrence said...

Hey beautiful lady! This card is SPECTACULAR!!! What an awesome technique! I am going to definitely have to give it a whirl. Gorgeous card!

Jenny Gropp said...

Julie -- this is so neat, unusual (in a good way!!!) with the two tone colors arranged vertically, really a wonderful card!!!!

Eva said...

This card is amazing...beautiful stamps and what a great technique to make this pretty card!!!