Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cards 4 Kids!

Hi all! Today's post is a shameless plug for my mom and a new charity effort she just started. I think it's marvelous! And, she got the idea from our bloggin' bud Bela over at Bela's Creating Place. For some time, Bela has delivered handmade cards and notebooks to her area's children's hospital to try to put a smile on these kids' faces! Well, my mom got to thinking. She could do the same and impact the lives of kids in the greater-Detroit area! She started Cards 4 Kids! Cards are needed for all ages (up to 20 years old) and will target all the major holidays - Christmas, Hannukah, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, etc. as well as Thinking Of You cards and Birthday cards. Do you have a few spare cards to help these children who are facing so much at such a young age? Cards can have stamped or computer generated sayings inside but otherwise, keep them blank. These will be used by the caregivers and parents who are staying with their children at the hospital. It's a way we can help these parents lift the spirits of these children when they can't make a mad dash out to the Halmark store. My mom is also taking in altered notebooks -- something that will fit in a pocket or a purse. When you are a parent of a child in the hospital - it's not uncommon for unplanned meetings with your child's doctor. Having a notebook handy to jot down information on your child's care is critical.


Do you want to help in the effort to put smiles on the faces of hospitalized kids? Just email my mom at mrsmiley6@aol.com for the details!

Today's card is actually one that landed in the box headed for my mom and her cause! I packed up all those cards that I have made over the last year that I thought might fit this cause!

I love this image. It's one of Melanie Muenchinger's sets released through Gina K Designs called Cuddles and Hugs. It's a PERFECT set for this cause! I love how these kitties are just snuggled up together!

I used my nesties scalloped heart and classic heart to create my heart and frame. I stamped the kitties in black and then used some pink chalk to give the kitties a soft glow. Outline them with a super light grey marker and then use the patterned paper to paper piece the spots on one of the kitties. Mat it up with a scalloped edge and some scraps of paper for the "Purrfect friends" saying! That's it!

Here's a close up... gotta love that snuggling that's going on!

So, if you have some extra cards lying around and would love to help! Just email my mom or visit her blog HERE for details!

Good luck MOM! Can't wait for a progress report! Until tomorrow!

12 comments:

The Rubber Maid said...

The report will have to be...it is really taking off. This Thursday all the cards and notebooks will be going downtown for the 2nd. delivery and it includes your 100 cards ( thanks so much DD ) about 50 notebooks, and more cards from Toni in California along with more I was able to squeeze in. So far the hospital will have received over 200 cards and approximately 100 notebooks. They are really happy and the kids love the program. So if anyone is willing to help please feel free to. Pat

Diane said...

Your Mom is the Greatest like Bela is too! That is such a great cause!
Love your card Julie,too cute!
Those nesties are so cool,love 'em!
And that stamp is super sweet!

Anonymous said...

The card is adorable!

Joan Fricker said...

Wow Julie what a great thing your Mom is doing. Wouldn't it be wonderful it this catches on nation wide?

Cute card too!

Joan

Stacy Morgan said...

Adorable card Julie. I have some cards that I can send to your mom. I will have to email her. What a wonderful idea you both hvae here!

Anonymous said...

Julie this card is just so sweet I adore the colors. TFS

Debbie/Phx AZ

Curt in Indy said...

Hey Julie! I just posted some cards that I'm putting in the mail for your Mom's program tomorrow! Go take a look and see what you think! I've got a total of 10 I'm sending, and I've promo'd the "cause" again with my latest post. Based on what your Mom says, it is going really well! I'm so glad! Your card is adorable! Best, Curt

Elena said...

Your mom is doing a very kind thing! This gifts would be very apreciated. When my son was at the hospital we've got lots of gifts. He was so happy! It is very important for kids and their parents that there are people who cares about them. I will write your mom...
Your card is very beautiful! Love the kitties in the heart! Shadow effect gives a very soft look!

Shirley said...

Love your mom's project and love your couple's card too! So pretty with the colors and so cute with those 2 cats!

Anonymous said...

Your card is `beautiful`
Would love to try and help sending some cards...
Is there a time limit?
Will pop over to your Mams now...
`Fabulous`:)~X~

Melanie said...

I didn't even realize you pieced th hearts at first, too cute!! Thanks for sharing this adrobale card and great cause!

Becca said...

Wow, this is such wonderful news. Your mom is really enjoying this venture and the banner is adorable.

You are so wonderful in helping her out with the cards for kids.

All the best,
Your card is puuuurfect.