Saturday, October 4, 2014

Happy World Card Making Day! Here's a challenge for you!




Hello all and.... HAPPY WORLD CARD MAKING DAY! Power Poppy has a ton of fun planned to honor this special day! It's a day for the card making community to unite and celebrate the connection and creativity that is at the very heart of card making! 

So, on this day we not only celebrate the hobby we know and love BUT we also say -- join us in the creative effort! And that's why Power Poppy is ushering in a handful of challenges! I took part in the one that kicked off at 8AM this morning! But, you'll have to click HERE to see the other challenges taking place over on the oh-so-fun Power Poppy blog! 

SO WHAT'S THE CHALLENGE? 

PPWCMD03: CHOOSE HOPE, THINK PINK! 



HOW TO PLAY: During this entire month, we honor our mothers, sisters, aunties, friends, grandmothers, and all women facing breast cancer. Let's spark awareness by Thinking PINK on our cards or creations! As a Pink Ribbon Sponsor for Splitcoaststampers' Hope you Can Cling To Campaign, simply join in on one of the Challenges HERE on SCS this month! Link your creations up there and be sure to share your card creation over on the Power Poppy blog as well! 

For my challenge creation, I picked Holly Brown's Stripped Down Challenge, where you use strips on your card front for a bit of punch! On to my creation!


I do want to share a bit of what influenced my creation. Rececently, I had the priviledge of meeting a lady who fits wigs for women undergoing chemo for breast cancer. She is a vibrant lady and what struck me about her was the fact that she loves to tell women during this difficult time to live it up when picking a wig -- choose a red wig if you've always wanted to be a red head or why not give a short and sassy cut a try? Basically, she tells women to live with excitement even in the midst of treatment! I loved how she sees cancer as a "life sentence" -- a time to fight with all you've got to live. So, for my card, I wanted to be bold, daring and tell someone else to live with excitement -- and to Breathe in & Breathe out in the process. I chose spunky and bold prints with sass, just like my wig-fitting friend Susan.

You can see above that I stamped two 1" strips with Power Poppy's Azalea stamp set. One time using Memento Espresso Truffle and the other time using Memento Rosebud ink. I then took some Copic Markers to accent the images -- I used C00, C01, R81, R83, RV00 and then I used YR0000 to shade around both stamped strips. The paper is from Echo Park's Love Story paper pack. The sentiment is from the Good Thinking: Renewal stamp set. I really thought this sentie was perfect for those facing cancer treatment.

Here's a close up of those fun and spunky strips!


Add a few punched strips and added a bit of bling and that, my friends, is it!

Now, back to the challenge! Click HERE  to play along in the Power Poppy challenge... AND... here's the fun news! If you play along in this challenge, you are "killing two birds with one stone!" You can get in on the challenges over at Splitcoast where there are more than $5000 up for grabs in prizes-- FYI Power Poppy is a prize sponsor! And, after you link up your creation there, link your creation on THIS post as well and double your chances for a prize! Fun stuff, right?

Some of my fellow "Bloomies" joined in on the fun, so be sure to stop by and see what these fine ladies have up their creative sleeves!

Katie Sims
Stacy Morgan


Happy World Cardmaking Day and I'll see you back here soon!

~Julie


Pin It

3 comments:

Stacy Morgan said...

This is fun with the strips, great technique and so pretty and cheerful!

Allison Cope said...

Great challenge! What a great design and use of pink!

CherylQuilts said...

What fun with the strips, Julie! I love the simplicity, especially since the sentiment takes "front stage" for this special card. My mom succumbed to breast cancer, and I remember when my dear dad got her a wig. It really made such a difference for her. What a special friend you have and a special gift she is giving those dear gals! Beautiful card and thoughts! Hugs!