Sunday, April 13, 2014

Time for a Free For All!

Well I didn't get this card posted on Friday when the Free For All challenge launched-- but heck -- I had fun so that's all that matters, right? This week's challenge over at Splitcoast this week (FA216) was to take a slice. What does that mean? Well, you had to take a "slice" off of your card front. I had never done this before so it was super fun!

So, here's what I did!


I actually made my card square -- 4-1/8" by 4-1/8", rounded the corners and then got to stamping! I stamped the image from Power Poppy's Springtime Love in black ink on the slice strip twice. I stamped once, flipped the stamp and then again using Espresso Truffle Memento Ink. The sentiment from Power Poppy's Good Thinking: Renewal Set was stamped on the inside slice and then, before I got to coloring, I ran the card through my Grand Calibur using a wood grain embossing folder.  

Also, since I had some embossing, I did add a smaller flat panel for writing. I added the bow and then matted this entire card onto a 4-1/4" by 4-1/4" piece of black card stock. See?


Ok.. for the coloring, I thought that using Copics on this kraft would be a bit dull. So, I picked up my Derwent Inktense pencils. The fabulous Lydia Fielder has been using them a ton on her creations lately and I was just so inspired. Don't look too closely to my work -- I need some practice! I wanted it to have a '"scibbly" look. I added some splashes of white with the Moltow White Paint Pen. After I was done coloring, I added some dots of E31 Copic marker around the image. Not sure why I did this -- just experimenting! ;-)

Here's a closeup....


And that, my friends, is it! It was a fun challenge and if you want to give it a try -- just click on over HERE to the thread and HERE to the gallery! Fun stuff! Thanks for stopping by -- see you back here soon!


~Julie


Pin It

3 comments:

Allison Cope said...

Wow Julie! What a great challenge and I love your take on it! Beautiful colouring!

Leslie Miller said...

I love how you did this, Julie! Not only with the "slice", but how you stamped the image twice like that. The coloring on kraft looks super. Altogether it makes a great looking card. I don't know what the FA challenge is, but it sounds fun. I have to check out more of these challenges, but it's so hard to keep up. I did the sketch challenge 'cuz I just love sketches, and I hope to do more of them.

Becky said...

wow..this is gorgeous in kraft & black.