Thursday, May 30, 2013

You Stand Out!

Hi all and Happy Thursday! It's my turn over on the Impression Obsession blog to host DT Thursday and I have a fun creation to share. A while back Impression Obsession released a series of Zenspirations stamp sets and THIS one called What a Hoot is my fave! Just love those owls.... See?


I chose just one of those little owls and had an idea! My daughter's teacher is leaving her school after twenty-some years of teaching to pursue a dream of teaching abroad. She'll be leaving later this summer to teach English in Saudi Arabia. What a big change from the wild west! This teacher is an amazing woman and she will be seriously missed - such a tender heart and love for education! So, with her going away party in mind, I created this little number below...


So, to make this fun creation... I used THIS sentiment called In a Crowd as the "theme" for my creation! And then... the masking fun began!


I started by drawing a light pencil line across the bottom of my card. Then, I stamped the owl on a Post-it Note and cut him out to create a mask. Then, I stamped my main owl in the center and then, placing my mask over top, stamped the next two owls. I kept moving my mask until I had all five on the front of my card. I erased the line and then stamped the sentiment in the lower corner.

After all my owls were in place, I colored them up with Copic markers in shades of brown and then -- my "stand out" owl in pinks! See? If you look close, you can see I did add a wee bit of sparkle to the main owl thanks to a glitter pen.


I added a few matching ribbons, a button and... ta da!! Done! I hope my daughter's teacher likes it and gets a chuckle out of those cute little birds! We'll miss her big time!

Thanks for stopping by my place! Mark your calendar - the next IO DT challenge is coming your way a week from today and the theme is "Bloom Where You are Planted!" So grab those IO florals and get those fingers inky! You can read more about the upcoming challenge HERE!

Have a fun Thursday and I'll see you back here tomorrow!

~Julie


Pin It

8 comments:

Craftyfield said...

Cute and fun at the same time ! There will be a delighted teacher...

Katie said...

Great card! I love this little owl and the owl set too (it is on my very long wish list). I love your coloring and how added the sparkle! What a nice gesture. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Paula Huiras said...

what a hoot! Owls are fun and an endarged species. We have a stuffed owl from years ago. They do have a part in nature, like all,of our creatures. Nice job.
PH

Patti J said...

Fun card, Julie! The owls are darling, and your card is sure to please its recipients! Thanks for sharing...

Beth Norman said...

So cute. Your colouring really sets off this card. I love the row of owls. Such an awesome stamp set too. Good luck to your daughter's teacher.

Rachel B. said...

Great card! This little owl is so cute!

Dianne said...

Its such a lovely and cute card love the owls and they way you colored them is awesome,I love that ribbon matches perfectly, thanks for sharing..

Ida said...

That is a very cute card.