Wednesday, February 3, 2010

the Timeless Tuesday Celebration Continues!

Hi all!

Thought I'd share another sample I created for the Timeless Tuesday challenges that are happening over on the Flourishes Newsletter this week! Too fun! And.... prizes on the line! Gotta love that!

I created this one for Dee Jackson's Fruity Birthday challenge! You just needed to make a card that used fruit as it's main image or were inspired by the colors of fruit.

I wanted my cherries to look kind of washed out -- so I stamped them using Versafine Sepia, heat set and then used my Distress inks to watercolor them. I used Peeled Paint, Worn Lipstick and Antique Linen and used my waterbrush to move the color around on the European Watercolor Paper.

I used the Antique Linen ink not only to color the stems but add some shading around the outside of the cherries. See? After I colored it up, the rest is just matting it up! I stitched around the outside of my main image, added some pearls, some satin ribbon and fun dp and... done! I wish I knew the decorative paper brand, but I only had scraps. I hate when I do that! :-) For more on the challenges click the link above to the Flourishes Newsletter and for the official rules click HERE. You have until Monday at 6 PM Eastern to play in order to be in the running for prizes!

Ok, funny story for you! I just had to share. It involves my funny little 6 year old girl. She says to me -- Mom, you got some new pink slippers, so you don't need your red ones any more. I said, "Really? What am I going to do with them?" She looks at me with sweet eyes and said, I am going to give them to the homeless. Immediately my heart melted. I said, well honey, we can buy some new ones to donate. Is this something your school is doing? She nodded. She said, "We need them tomorrow." Keep in mind, this was 8 PM as we were getting ready for bed. When hubby and I said, 'Honey, it's 8 at night - we can't have slippers for school tomorrow. It's too late." She just burst into tears. So, dad, being the softie he is, said - ok if you are ready for school at 7:20, we can leave early and pick some up on the way. She goes to bed and hubby wakes me up at 6:20 and says, "you need to go look at your daughter." I walked out into the living room and there she was - with her boots on, hat on, and backpack on. "I'm ready to go!" She woke up at 5:30 because she didn't want to sleep in, got herself breakfast, got dressed and was ready. Is that not the funniest thing? I won't soon forget that picture in my head of that little peanut! :-)

Happy Wednesday everyone! See you back here soon!

15 comments:

Lynne said...

Beautiful card, love the colour combo.
Lynne xxx

Robbie said...

I love your story! What a most precious and beloved sight!! Never forget how generous she feels at this moment!!! Love your card, too, Julie.

Deb Neerman said...

Awww, Jewels, what a sweet story! What a wonderful, caring l'il girl you're growin'!! I got all goose-bumpy reading how she was up and ready at 5:30.

A special child ... like Mother, like Daughter!!

BTW, lolo, the card is fantabulous! LOVE your watercoloring here ... very soft and vintagy-ish!

Ida said...

What a beautiful and amazing card and story of your little girl. They are both just truly wonderful.

Karen W said...

This is gorgeous and I love bottom cut, so pretty

Sue from Oregon said...

I have always loved this stamp! Love the softer look to this card!

Sue from Oregon said...

Oh I hope you took a picture of your daughter.

The Rubber Maid said...

Well isn't Miss Ellie Boo just the cutest sweetest little girl in the whole wide world. Kind of reminds me of me in a way....just kidding. OBTW love your card, it's a real beauty. Mom

Crystal said...

Aw, a beautiful card, Julie ! Thanks so much for sharing that sweet story. Your little sweetie has a heart of gold !

Ravengirl said...

What a lovely card! I love the vintage look! You daughter sounds very sweet (and determined!)

Robin McK said...

Besides the fact that your card is lovely, your daughter is a hoot! So cute!

Silke Ledlow said...

Sweet, sweet story Julie!!! I love how cute love and do things so unconditionally!!! Your daughter sounds like my middle daughter...love her to pieces for her sweet and unselfish way...alway wanting to help someone in need :)!!!

Your fruity card is fabulous...love the *washed-out* look!!! The colors are so beautiful!!! Hugs ~S~

Tanya said...

Ohhh, what a little sweetheart!!
I love how you colored the cherries!

Jenny Gropp said...

Awwww.. your story made my heart melt. So sweet! (much better than the Computer Virus drama, LOL)
This is a drop dead awesome creation!

Sonya said...

Lovely card and sweet story!