Friday, December 18, 2009

Show me,... white space!

Hi all! Time for another Flourishes focus and this one... hosted by the lovely and talented Stacy Morgan is all about white space! Stacy has such a wonderful way of making her cards look so crisp and clean and effortless. Well, I found out -- creating a card with lots of white space that looks balenced and beautiful takes, well, effort!

That's why I'm so glad she gave us some tips and tricks this week over on the Flourishes Newsletter!

I am laughing because I went for lots of white space with this card and it really didn't give me the same effect - I honestly should have dumped the mats and kept it all white! Oh well, I'm new at this! ;-)

Ok, here are the quick and dirty details! I took the All that Glitters set and gold embossed them, added some gold stitching for the hanging strings, a quick knotted bow and colored them up with Copic Markers. Gold leaf the edge of the white paper, add some red and green mats and a sentiment and..... done!

Check out Stacy's tutorial HERE and then.... see how the other gals in the Flourishes DT bathed their creations in white!

Christine
Cindy
Latisha
Laura
Leslie


Thanks for stopping by! Have a fabulous weekend!








Stamps: All that Glitters, Holiday Greetings
Ink: Versamark with gold detail embossing powder
Paper: Flourishes Classic White, Red and Green (unknown)
Ribbon: May Arts
Extras: Kaiser Craft red rhinestones

16 comments:

Stacy Morgan said...

Fabulous ornaments! I love the gold embossing and your white space looks great! I like the layered CS with the white, it looks fine silly!

Shawna said...

I like the card! Love those ornaments.

ChristineCreations said...

I think the stitched thread hanging the ornaments is so great Julie. Great color on the ornaments too, they look so classy

cristinoel said...

Your card is just fine! I think if you took off the colored mats it would not look as good.

Latisha said...

I think it looks fine, more than fine its gorgeous, and there is white space all over the front :)

Leslie Miller said...

Ooooooh, I like this, Julie! Just the right amount of white space and ribbon, and these particular ornaments are ideal for the gold embossing. Love the gold stitching, too. It's funny how difficult white space can be. Most of us really struggle with it.

Anonymous said...

I like your card a lot! I think it's very pretty! I like your ornament placement and the stitching that they hang from is great!!
I have cased a card before and I loved the card I cased but somehow mine looked different and I don't like it as much. After much careful studying ;-), I decided that I had made my mats too wide... so I took my card apart and made the mats narrower and I liked it much better. Might work for you.. might not...
IMHO and in the words of Mark Darcey (directed at Bridget Jones).... "I love you just the way you are"!!!
I hope that you enjoy some great time with your son and all of your family!!!
Beth Greco

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

This is wonderful! I love the white space, but I really love the gold embossed ornaments w/ the stitched gold threads. Great little detail!

The Rubber Maid said...

Love your card I think it is just perfect! Mom

Jan Castle said...

Love the ornaments!!!! The sewing is a great touch!!!
Jan Castle

Joan B said...

Gorgeous. Love that set. The sewed gold is perfect. Have a wonderful Christmas Julie.

Anonymous said...

Love the bulbs, very pretty. Have a very merry Christmas my friend!

dpkennedy said...

I think it's just beautiful! Love the gold embossing and the little bows!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!

Carolina said...

Such a stunning card - love how you added ribbon to the ornaments...such a lovely addition! Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Velta said...

Amazing how elegant such a simple card can be!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Jenny Gropp said...

LOL!! White space -- not as always as easy as it sounds! This is striking and lovely! FAB job!