Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pretty Poppies

Just when the poppies are in bloom outside, Flourishes released this new set to keep these gorgeous flowers alive all year long! This set is called Poppy Patch and it features different flower elements - flowers, buds, and even leaves so you can create your own field of poppies! I did two different cards with this set - one is a more traditional watercolor, the other - could be a ten minute card and has more of a contemporary flair!
For the first card, I stamped the poppy elements on watercolor paper using permanent black ink. I heat set it and then started painting my flowers with shades of red and orange. The stems were done in an olive green that I went back over a second time in spots to add shading. I also used some blue for a nice watercolor wash behind the flowers. The rest is pretty simple - I ran 2/3 of my card front through my Wizard with my Swiss Dots Cuttlebug Embossing Folder. I added another piece of red that had been matted with a strip of back. The tag is a Sizzix tag set. I used my Scalloped Square Nesties to use as my main mat. Add some black sheer ribbon and VOILA!

Here's a close up....


Here's my second card - my 10 minute card! All I did was stamp my poppies in black ink on some mosiac patterned paper. Mat this on an orange piece that is 1/8" larger. Add a scalloped edge, some polka dot ribbon and done! The saying is actually from the brand new Stamp Simply set called Thank You. This set is to die for as well! I'll have a creation using this stamp set tomorrow!
Here is a close up for you! I added white dots with a white gel pen just to give the flowers a little extra pop!


The other ladies on the Flourishes Design Team have been busy at work! So, be sure to check out their awesome creations! Sharon, Linda, Leslie, Faith, and Susan.

Until Tomorrow!

P.S. If you missed yesterday afternoon's post - the voting for the PC Gallery Idol is officially underway - click HERE to check it out!! Hope you like my card for this contest!!!

P.P.S. The fabulous Deb and I have collaborated on a rockin' new project and I can't wait to spill the beans!! Look for more details here on our blogs very soon!

P.P.P.S. A HUGE thanks to Bela, Janine and Deb for giving my blog the Brillante Weblog award. If you've never visited their sites -- check them out! They are all fabulous ladies with amazing talent!!!

18 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, these cards are just beautiful! I am loving the new releases from Flourishes!

I went and checked out your card for Idol, and it's gorgeous! I truly believe it's the winner!! lol

Have a great day!

Janine said...

Beautiful card Julie... and I voted!! Yes I did!!
I have not been creating lately... I am working at the office with my husband. We are pretty busy so need to help in the warehouse and answering phones.
My hands hurt!!

Anonymous said...

Rest easy, I just voted for YOU! It's a great card, too, so that helped me not be swayed from my mission. These poppies are beautiful!! Glad you seem to be functioning just fine even with all the hoopla, Paper Crafting Idol.

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Julie -- both of these cards are SO totally striking -- your colors are perfect, your images are beautifully done -- they both have so much WOW appeal -- I like that!!! Great job on these!!!

Jennifer Buck said...

Oh my goodness! These are stunning! LOVE them! Hope you are doing well! :)

Carolyn King said...

wow....gorgeous! Way to showcase those new stamps---awesome job!

Anonymous said...

very cute cards!
have a great day!

Ann said...

Gorgeous card! Love this stamp; you are selling product!

Good luck with the Idol contest!!

Mark's Finest Papers said...

Beautiful!!! Julie, just FANTASTIC!

Anonymous said...

Two absolutely beautiful cards! I voted!! They certainly don't make it easy though, but I muttled my way around and voted!! Hooray for Julie!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my these are GORGEOUS!! Oh I voted, too... two... oops! lol

Deb Neerman said...

Simply fabulous, Jewels; as usual! Love these new images; they rock!

Barbara Schram said...

Love what you did here with the Poppy images! And the colors are fatabulous! Take care, Julie!

Lesli said...

Your cards are gorgeous as usual! I love the beautiful colors - very calming!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Julie! I love the soft salmon look you got with your red and orange. Gosh, love the paper on the second card. I thought it was woven at first. These are both outstanding!

Jules said...

Beautiful cards the poppies and the tulips from today!
You are really making me have to have those sets!!!

Dianette Seda said...

Love the color combo but loved more the first card than the other one. Great job with these ones.

Cheryl said...

These are stunning!